Frequently Asked Questions


How long does a recording take?

A session is usually three hours long with a break, during which we aim to record 15-20 minutes of master material. Spoken word sessions are generally quicker. If you want to record a CD, 4 x 3-hour sessions spread over two days works well. Overdubs will require additional sessions. However, these are only guidelines and we can be flexible according to the client's needs, particularly when working with solo artists and smaller ensembles.


Victor acoustic recording session

What is location recording?

Recording 'on location' is the way all recordings were made in the early-twentieth century and is still the norm for classical recording today. A recording team sets up microphones in a suitable venue and monitors from a temporary control room with a portable rig.

Non-classical musicians are increasingly turning to location recording as an alternative to studio recording, due to a potentially more comfortable and relaxed working environment. Click here to read more about the benefits of location recording.



We are comfortable working in a wide variety of styles and have expertise in a number of areas from commercial releases and radio broadcasts to music videos, VR audio and art installations. We have tracked sessions with rock and funk bands, soul singers, folk groups, jazz ensembles and more. You may like to read more about our services for musicians, including recording choirsorchestrasoperas and chamber ensembles, as well as acoustic and folk musicians and spoken word projects.


What sort of space is best to record in?

This really depends on the style of music. The important thing is that the room allows the sound to 'breathe'. Rooms with too many parallel services can produce flutter echoes that should be avoided, whilst spaces with too many soft furnishings can result in a 'boxy' sound due to high frequency absorption. On the other hand, hard surfaces such as brick or stone produce bright early reflections that only suit some instruments. External traffic noise can also be an issue. Eastwood Records has worked in a large number of spaces including many of the UK's leading concert halls and we can always advise on whether a venue is suitable or not. For larger projects we prefer to suss out the venue in person beforehand.


How long does mixing and mastering take?

Again, this depends on the style of music. Multitrack rock and pop mixes are usually more labour intensive than classical mixes (whereas classical recordings often require more editing than non-classical projects). We can provide a range of services from rough mixes on the fly to spending a whole day on a single track. Contact us to discuss your requirements, or read more about our mixing and mastering services.


Can I attend the mix session?

We usually provide 'online mixing', which means files are exchanged over WeTransfer or Dropbox and the recording is mixed in-house. The first mix is uploaded for comments and then changes are applied accordingly. However, if you would like to attend the sessions in person we are more than happy to accommodate this for an extra charge.


Do you have a RECORDING studio?

We are based in London but we also manage a studio in the centre of Cambridge that can be hired for a variety of uses from voiceovers to orchestral recording. Click here to read more about the facilities.



Eastwood Records provides CD manufacturing as part of our mastering service. We outsource the work to a number of trusted companies and are able to offer CD duplication and replication. Duplication suits small runs (up to 500 discs) and quick turnarounds; replication uses a glass master and is ideal for large production runs and commercial releases. Contact us to discuss your requirements.


Do I need a copyright licence?

It depends what the material is and how you plan to distribute your recording. Pressing CDs for public release will require a manufacture licence from PRS if the music is still in copyright. Digital distribution through Amazon and iTunes doesn't require a licence, but if you host the audio on your own website you will need an online licence. We can advise on and purchase the relevant licence as part of the production process.


Can you record voiceovers?

Yes. We have produced and engineered spoken word sessions for a number of a clients, including The New Yorker, independent theatre companies and various corporate customers. Click here to read more.


Do you offer video recording?

No, but we have worked with a number of videographers and independent film companies that we'd be delighted to recommend. Click here to read more about music video sessions and to see examples of projects we have worked on.


Do you provide live sound services?

Yes, we can provide live sound engineering and equipment hire for concerts, talks and workshops of various sizes. We have also worked with a number of UK-based music festivals in London and further afield.



All our projects are different so we always quote on a per project basis. Contact us to discuss your requirements, and we will be happy to provide a breakdown based on the specifics of your recording.


Do you offer engineering/production separately?

Yes. For smaller sessions it's fine to combine the roles of producer and engineer, but for larger sessions it is often advantageous to call on two pairs of ears in the control room.

If you have a producer in mind, Eastwood Records can provide a recording engineer for the session to take care of equipment, mic placement and achieving the desired balance. We can engineer sessions on locationin the studio and as live captures

For projects where you have already sorted an engineer or studio, we can provide a producer who will direct the smooth running of a session. Click here to read more about production.

Feel free to get in touch with any further questions: